Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fantasy Mistressworks Fifty!

A recommended reading list featured on the Fantasy Mistressworks blog compiled by Amanda Rutter. Since I've been trying to read more books written by women this year, I couldn't let this one pass.

Bold is what I have read, italics what I own. I've also linked the ones I've reviewed. So how did you do?

1. Songspinners – Sarah Ash
2. The Bloody Chamber – Angela Carter
3. Rats and Gargoyles – Mary Gentle
4. Outlander – Diana Gabaldon (this was published as Cross Stitch in the UK)
5. The Riddle-Master of Hed – Patricia McKillip
6. The Blue Sword – Robin McKinley
7. Lud-in-the-Mist – Hope Mirrlees
8. The Curse of the Mistwraith – Janny Wurts
9. Shadow Magic – Patricia C Wrede
10. Assassin’s Apprentice – Robin Hobb
11. A Wizard of Earthsea – Ursula K Le Guin
12. Familiar Spirit – Lisa Tuttle
13. Beauty – Sheri S Tepper
14. Diadem from the Stars – Jo Clayton
15. The Crystal Cave – Mary Stewart
16. Black Horses for the King – Anne McCaffrey
17. The Clan of the Cave Bear – Jean M Auel
18. Fortress in the Eye of Time – C J Cherryh
19. Red Moon and Black Mountain – Joy Chant
20. The Birthgrave – Tanith Lee
21. Briefing for a Descent into Hell – Doris Lessing
22. Interview with the Vampire – Anne Rice
23. The Wood Wife – Terri Windling
24. Briar Rose – Jane Yolen
25. The Porcelain Dove – Delia Sherman
26. The Winter Prince – Elizabeth Wein
27. The Time of the Dark – Barbara Hambly
28. Sword of Rhiannon – Leigh Brackett
29. Tam Lin – Pamela Dean
30. Fire in the Mist – Holly Lisle
31. The Sacrifice – Kristine Kathryn Rusch
32. The Beleagured City – Margaret Oliphant
33. The Soul of Lilith – Marie Corelli
34. The Citadel of Fear – Francis Stevens
35. Jirel of Joiry – C L Moore
36. Sheepfarmer’s Daughter – Elizabeth Moon
(added 26-May-2013) 37. Dragon Prince – Melanie Rawn
38. Black Trillium – Julian May
39. The Thief’s Gamble – Juliet E McKenna
40. Daggerspell – Katharine Kerr
41. The Blue Manor – Jenny Jones
42. The Barbed Coil – J V Jones
43. In the Red Lord’s Reach – Phyllis Eisenstein
44. The Spirit Ring – Lois McMaster Bujold
45. The Last of the Renshai – Mickey Zucher Reichert
46. Archangel – Sharon Shinn
47. The Hall of the Mountain King – Judith Tarr
48. A Blackbird in Silver – Freda Warrington
49. Kindred – Octavia Butler
50. The Red Magician – Lisa Goldstein

Four out of fifty. A pretty poor score really. I guess I have some reading to do.


4 comments:

  1. I did a bit better. I've read 10 of those. I've also read other works by some of the authors mentioned, but not the specific ones on the list. I always thought Mickey Zucher Reichert was male too, so I learned something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I count the authors I have read other books by I don't hit double digits. I guess the to read stack just grew a bit ;)

      Delete
  2. Since the point was reading work by female authors I didn't bother too much with whether or not I had read the specific book mentioned in the list, just if I had read something by that author. Otherwise I might only have gotten five or four hits instead of the thirty-one I counted. does it matter if you didn't like the book so you didn't finish it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say the quality of a book is always more important than who wrote it ;)

      Delete